Saturday, October 25, 2014

San Antonio Zoo


 
Location: 3903 N St Mary's St, San Antonio, TX 78212

Amenities: animal exhibits, children's area, carousel, restaurants, train, gift shops

Hours: 9:00-5:00 every day (even holidays!), you can stay in the zoo until 6:00.

Admission: adults $12, children (3-11) $9.50, children 2 and under free (additional discounts available for military, senior citizens, handicapped); memberships available starting at $80.

If I'm being totally honest here, this is not the best zoo I've ever been to.  However, my two year old LOVES it, and I'm glad that we at least have a zoo to go to.  I also really love the free parking! Now that I'm not used to.  There are quite a few animals that we were accustomed to seeing on our zoo trips before moving to San Antonio that just are not in this zoo (giraffes, polar bears, gorillas, chimps, orangutans).  However, there are tons of monkeys, and what more could a toddler really want?  The children's area is also fantastic.   But I'm pretty sure the highlight of our trips is the carousel (she's a bit carousel obsessed).  While I was a bit disappointed on our first trip, I quickly realized that any zoo is better than no zoo, and a membership is definitely worth it.  I also think the area where you can brush goats and pigs is pretty fun, but we don't always go to that part because some days you just don't feel like walking in goat poop (and then hoping everyone's hands are thoroughly cleaned).  So I don't have pictures of that area. A few things to note: you can't bring in food except water and formula/snacks for little ones, and if you decide to get a membership after you've already been, bring in your receipt and they will allow you to subtract what you already paid from your membership.
The train is actually outside of the zoo entrance and is $3.50.  We still haven't ridden it due to someone having developed an inexplicable train phobia...
She seems to have gotten a bit scared of reptiles too so we didn't go in here (thank goodness! Last time she made us look at every snake). 

Mostly we looked at the monkeys.
 I didn't want to just show you pictures of monkeys though, so here you go.



The carousel is $2.50 a ticket.  Adults have to ride with children under 42 inches, but they do not need a ticket for that (this may be a new policy, the time before this they charged us both)
 This is the children's area.  It is very well done. All of the following pictures are from this part of the zoo.


This is a water play area.  There was a sign when we went in saying that it would not be open today (I'm assuming for water conservation)
 Magnetic fishing
 A water bed for those 2 and under
 Nice, cozy reading area, complete with books
 This is a tunnel that I could not get her to go in.  It offers a unique view of the prairie dog exhibit.
 A less scary tunnel

 Play area for babies
 Wonderful pretend play area


Pretend to be a vet.
 There are a few animals in the outside part of the Tot Spot
We definitely did not see all of the zoo that day.  Even though I mentioned it is not the best zoo I've seen, there are a lot of animals, and I don't think I'd be able to see everything in one visit.  The food is pretty good too.  The newest restaurant (by the carousel) has a much wider variety than your typical zoo fare.  However, last time I ate there it was ridiculously crowded, and the prices are higher than elsewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment